Tuesday 16 March 2010

Sock Puppets Are Bad At Arguing

I had an idea for a little cut away section with super low tech puppets, I was going to cut out figures on sticks, but I'm using those for some jokes in the main bulk of the show, so I decided on SOCK PUPPETS. The whole joke I came up with was that they should start with a typical tough guy trying to start an argument line like "Are you looking at my bird?" which would then be replied to in the politest possible way eg. "Why yes I was, may I say she looks ravishing!" This would then lead to a throughly lovely discourse said in true Chap style.


What do you mean you haven't read The Chap? Here old bean, click this.

As I needed some sewing practice before tackling my main puppets, I thought I'd have a go at
making the sock puppets, I wanted them to have button eyes & look very homemade. Here is the sketch page with the ideas:


You may notice some terrible theme song lyrics, more on that later.

Here are all the buttons my Mother gave me to play with:



I wanted to throw them all on the floor & rol around in them like a cat, but that would've been messy.

Here are the socks with the buttons chosen for eyes:


All these socks are mine. I have cold feet now.


I really didn't think through the logistics of sewing buttons onto an over-the-knee length sock. It took me all night to finish one. By which point I was a bottle of wine down & watching music TV. Then this happened:




To me Slow Hands by the amazing Interpol was a pretty funny song to film to. In doing it I realised several things: I don't know the words of that song as well as I thought. Also my hands are much smaller than my feet, so the sock was quite baggy & didn't move in the way I wanted it to, I may need to look into some padding. I'm also concerned that my camera didn't pick up some of the faster movements very well.

There will be more from these little fellas next week I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment