Wednesday 10 March 2010

Sunday, Puppet Sunday.

So this Puppet Sunday isn't late, I just wanted to post it on "NO FUN SMOKING DAY"

This is going to be a quick one. A good friend of mine has had some sad news recently & when I enquired as to how he was doing he told me he was OK & listening to lot's of Saves The Day.

It made me think of this video:



I love maribu covered puppets, the movement it creates is almost slow motion. I will be using real hair for my puppets, mainly as I have a bag full of extensions that I no longer use, but the greatest thing about this video is the fact that the puppets are doing the kinds of things even Oscar the Grouch wouldn't be seen doing, yet it still maintains a sweetness that I feel is important, at least it is to me.

As a great example I give you Big Bird on Jimmy Kimmel:





He is totally appropriate for a Late Night talk show, even one that can be 'edgy' (I hate that word but I can't think of a better one.) but the integrity of the character isn't comprimised. Yes there is something awesome about watching cartoon characters doing bad things, whether it's Drugs, Sex or Violence, but with puppets there's something slightly different for me.

As much as my little fellas are going to be drinking, cussing, horror movie loving, chain smoking, sarcastic wee buggers. I don't need them to push it any further.

On the subject of smoking, this is something I do want my puppets to do. Sitting around smoking FAGS (Not other things) is what me & my friends used to do, it's the conversations we had after too much coffee, too many cups of tea, to much booze, that have inspired the scripts & the dynamic of this whole project.

I get cross that a lot of characters in both film & on TV that would smoke in real life don't. EVERYONE on Corrie & Eastenders would smoke. Instead we have this one beacon of truth (& AWESOME)

This what made Britain Great.

She is sad because you are not smoking.

This exception to the rule of fag smoking TV characters (Shameless & Skins being notable exceptions. Godbless you Channel 4) is so outstanding, Dot Cotton is slang for a fag! (If Urban Dictionary says it, it must be true.) 

I'm excited to look into the mechanics of making the little fellas smoke. There are plenty of puppets who have.

Not everyone who smokes is this obscene. Honest.

Fancy Chaps know fags are cool.

Happy No Smoking day, I'm off for a smoke!

If you haven't seen this film. Go. Now. Watch it.


This made me cry. No, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment